Some of you may have already seen this article titled ‘I knew Pope Francis was good, but when I found out everything he did in 2012 I was blown away’ which lists 19 aspects of Pope Francis’ 2013 and some of the impressive things he did [especially perhaps, when viewed through the lens of previous popes].
What was interesting to us at Two Cents was that four of the 19 dealt directly with money-related ideas and acts:
1. He spoke out against frivolous spending of the church
9. He auctioned his motorcycle to benefit the homeless
11. He condemned the global financial system.
14. He redirected employees bonuses to charity.
And three of them a little more indirectly, but conservation and the homeless are both very finance-related areas:
6. He urged the protection of the Amazon Rainforest
8. He snuck out of the Vatican to feed the homeless
18. He invited homeless men to his birthday meal
All of this showing quite a strong emphasis on the ongoing intersection that seems to take place between FAITH and FINANCES. Jesus Himself often made specific references to the kingdom of God and the lure of money, reminding us that it would be an area where we would regularly have to make a choice and that it was not possible to reach for both, or worship both equally. And it is unlikely that 2014 is going to be any different.
Have you actively taken time t oconsider the relationship between your FAITH and your FINANCES? Instead of the typical last-for-a-week New Year’s Resolution exercise that is just around the corner, why not consider having this conversation with your family or some of your friends? Be intentional as you head into a new year with how the spending of your money [and time and talents and treasures] will or will not be aligned with the things you say you believe.
Take a look at some of the stories that have been shared of some of the amazing things that Common Change groups have been able to do this year simply by joining their resources together as groups of friends.
Latest posts by Brett Anderson (see all)
- I hear the sharpening of pitchforks… - July 29, 2014
- Blessed are the Poor [as long as you keep them away from me!] - July 22, 2014
- When my Helping has Hurt – a shared post of Sarah Binos - July 10, 2014